Friday, April 14, 2006

Iowa Tornadoes

Is it just me, or does it seem as though there's been an unusual amount of tornado damage this year? This time, it was Iowa City and the University of Iowa campus. One person was killed, and a couple dozen others injured, although none seriously. That's impressive, considering bone-headed actions like these:

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP)

. . . University of Iowa sophomore Melissa Fortman huddled with friends in the basement of their sorority as the sirens sounded. But then she decided to run upstairs for her homework just as the tornado hit.

"There was debris flying everywhere inside the house," Fortman told ABC's "Good Morning America" today. "I couldn't go downstairs because there was debris and glass flying up the stairs, so I just hid in a telephone booth we have in our house, and I just hid there crying . . . "

. . . Firefighter Darrall Brick looked on with dismay after the storm as he watched some people walking around downed power lines.

"These students just don't realize how dangerous it is," he said, noting how crowds initially prevented emergency crews from reaching disaster sites . . .

The first girl was so close to doing everything right, but had to ruin it in the end. I'm sure "The tornado ate my homework!" is a legitimate excuse. But then again, she is a sorority girl...
As for the others, I bet you can't turn in your precious homework at all if you get electrocuted! Pretty stupid, if you ask me. Those tornado sirens are there for a reason, people. Unless you're a meteorologist or are very familiar with the nature, position, and movement of severe storms, TAKE COVER WHEN THE BLOODY SIRENS SOUND!

If you're ever unfortunate enough to be caught in the aftermath of a tornado, stand back and let the professionals do there job unless you're actually able to help rather than hinder their work.

I may chase storms, but at least I'm not stupid about it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home